This is a Sponsored post written by me on behalf of Giant Eagle for SocialSpark. All opinions are 100% mine.
There is something about Sunday evenings lately that always have me wanting to make soup! I still consider Sunday evenings the weekend though so I don't like to spend a ton of time in the kitchen (less time cooking means more time I get to craft!!!), but I do like to make some type of home cooked meal to enjoy with my hubby on Sundays and lately that has been soup!
This weekend I made a Chicken and Rice Vegatable Soup that came together super quick with the help of a Knorr Chicken and Broccoli Rice Side but still had that yummy taste of homeade soup. Ever since I've started on this soup kick both hubby and I have become a little bit of soup snops...canned soup just no longer tastes any good to me!
The secret to making this homeade soup super yummy is to use a good selection of fresh veggies.
The recipe that I tried out from Knorr actually called for peppers, zuchinni, and celery, but I really don't like any of those veggies. Hah!! A little picky am I?? Well, that's the nice thing about a veggie soup, you can substitute other veggies that you prefer instead! I kept the onions (not pictured) but substitued in carrots, potatoes and corn.
After you have your veggies picked out and chopped up, the rest is easy! I cooked my veggies in my dutch oven with a little olive oil and thyme and after they are done you just add in chicken broth, water and the Knorr Chicken and Broccoli Rice Side. Bring to a boil and then cook for ten minutes. Add in some shredded chicken (I just picked up a roasted chickn from the grocery store so I had one less thing to cook!) and then you are ready to serve!
Here is the full recipe from Knorr that can be found in this Free Recipe Book!
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 medium red bell peppers, chopped
- 1 3/4 cups chopped onion
- 3/4 cup zucchini, halved lenthwise, then sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 2 cans (14.5 oz. ea.) reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 package Knorr® Rice Sides™ - Chicken flavor Broccoli
- 2 1/3 cups shredded cooked boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Heat olive oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat and cook vegetables and thyme, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 6 minutes.
- Add broth, water and Knorr® Rice Sides™ - Chicken flavor Broccoli. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook covered 10 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Stir in chicken and serve immediately.
The Knorr Rice Sides are available at Giant Eagle. Using them in this receipe made my meal come together super quick and still packed a ton of flavor in each spoonfull. A win-win for me: less time in the kitchen and more time crafting during the afternoon and then snuggling when dinner was done with a full and happy husband!!