I've got a sewing tutorial this week!
I go back to school this coming Saturday and needed a wristlet to take with to carry my phone, ID card, etc with me around campus. I looked around on etsy but they were all at least $25 dollars and I couldn't find any I loved anyway.
When I saw this tutorial by Mommy by Day...Crafter by Night, I thought that she made it look pretty easy to make a zippered pouch, even for someone like me who can only sew pillows.
So....I told myself it was baisically a pillow with a lining...and zipper....and wristlet part....and attempted one!
This is my finished product:
To make one, cut out two pieces of 8" x 6" fabric for the main fabric, lining, and fabric interfacing.
I had iron on interfacing lying around, so I ironed it on to the back side of the lining fabric.
Then I laid my front piece of fabric right side down, with a zipper right side down on top, with the interfacing right side down on-top of the zipper. I pinned all the pieces in place and sewed together.
Do the same thing with the other side. This is what is should look like...kind of. Although sew yours straighter than I did. (This was my first time sewing a zipper, give me some props ok?? haha)
Note: at this point you should unzip the zipper half way!
For the wristlet part of the bag I ran a stitch down some bias tape to use.
Pin the right sides together of the exterior fabric and sew around the whole outside.
I also pinned the wristlet part on at this point....although I should have stopped and realized that this was the inside of the exterior fabric....and sewing it on the inside would not allow me to use it on the outside....but I didn't until it was too late.
So, I made it work...which I explain later. But if you ever make one, make sure you pin and sew it on the right way!!!
Next I pinned the lining right side together, and sewed all around it except the corner which matches up with the wristlet side.
Then I flipped everything to the right side (that's why you needed to keep the zipper halfway open!) and I pulled the wristlet strap through the hole in the lining, and then sewed that hole up.
Not the cleanest way to do it....but, now I know better for next time!
Here's the bag almost done:
I made some rolled fabric rosettes for it and attached them....and then was done!
Just the right size to keep all my essentials!
I'll be sharing this with all the link parties in my header including Today's Creative Blog and Christina's Adventures